Risk Assessment Checklist
This IT risk assessment checklist becomes a compulsion that can reduce the greater risks that are involved in the personal setup.
In today’s world, every individual in the world is connected to the internet, no matter if the person is at school, home, or office. The connection with the internet brings so many risks that are faced by everyone. This IT risk assessment checklist becomes a compulsion that can reduce the greater risks that are involved in the personal setup. First of all, it is needed to understand the difference in risk, threat, and vulnerability to understand the creation of an IT risk assessment checklist. Risk refers to the potential loss of information while vulnerability refers to a weakness or flaw in the system.
Risk assessment helps to identify, prioritize, and estimate the risk that can stop organizational operations. Risk assessment is totally dependent on the company operations as it shows the process of risk assessment creation. The basic risk assessment includes three main factors: how critical the threat is, the importance of the assets, and how vulnerable the asset is to the threat.
There are several ways to collect the information about assessing the risk that includes: interviewing the management, analyzing infrastructure, and reviewing documentation. The risk assessment checklist includes the major stress environment of the company. Potential risks could be present at any level in the organization. The trend of security that is helping to maximize the competitive advantage is shown below:
Importance of Risk Assessment
Risk assessment is a structured approach to reduce risk factors. Some of the main purposes of risk assessment includes:
- Evaluation of organizational security is done properly which helps in finding the effectiveness of the infrastructure.
- The existing control measure is evaluated by keeping the aims and objectives of the organization or a project. Flaws in the control system are highlighted easily with the help of risk assessment that leads to effective solutions in the organization.
- Additional controls are identified with the help of risk assessment as a flaw is found in the system so new protocols are imposed to eradicate the flaw from the infrastructure.
- Prioritization is done and resources go under the policy and no one gets the opportunity to misuse the system.
An IT risk assessment can be created effectively by taking the following steps:
1. Assets identification
The first and foremost step in creating IT risk assessment is to identify the main assets of the organization. The assets need to be categorized properly according to the threat that could harm the asset. Here are the few examples of the assets that need security in a firm: servers, client contact information, website, database, trade secrets, and financial data.
2. Determining potential consequences
The second important part is to identify the financial losses that the organization is going to face if any cyber breach occurs. Some of the main consequences are the downtime of applications, data loss, and legal consequences.
3. Defining threat levels
A threat can be anything that may exploit the vulnerability present in the organization. The threat level must be defined to make smart decisions to deal with cyber breaches effectively. Some of the common threats are system failure, human interference, malicious acts, and natural disasters.
4. Finding vulnerabilities
A vulnerability is a flaw in the security system of an organization that is attacked by hackers to exploit security. In the IT risk assessment, the backbone is to identify the vulnerabilities in the system of the company. Once the vulnerabilities are found with the help of risk assessment the organization gets the chance to make a response plan in case of any security exploit.
5. Creating a risk management plan
A risk management plan is the core part as it is dependent on the data that is collected in previous steps. A better the data collection process leads to a better risk management plan that stops the attackers to violate the security of an organization. Threats and vulnerabilities identify the consequences that could create harm and with the help of an IT risk assessment plan, the best solution is provided to tackle the risks effectively.
Subscribe to FinsliQ Blog:
If you have enjoyed and find our blogs informative, then please support the platform by subscribing to our daily newsletters. Benefits of becoming a subscriber:
- Get daily updates with the latest blogs/article
- New updates within the same subject area are release every day (release dates can be found next to the link in the blog)
- Stay up to date with the latest Tech news
- Variety of different types of blogs
Visit FinsliQ | Tech Academy. A variety of course are available in cloud computing, Dev-ops, Cloud Architecture, Cyber Security and much more.